Structure Welding: Butt Joint failing if plates not aligned or have same thickness.
How to set welding joint for a butt weld for two plates which are not aligned and have different thickness?
Butt welding joint is failing if one of the plates is using two-sided thickness option which results into the situation that the two plates are not fully aligned anymore. For this use-case a Butt weld will be relevant a T-Joint would be incorrect, both of the plates would need bevels.
Set in the Welding Joint dialogue (Ship Structure Detail Design):
- Joint type = Butt
- Create Method = Manual Single
- Primary Face : select the SMALLEST plate. This face will be used as reference-level for the thicker plate.
- Select Secondary Face and Primary and Secondary Edge
- Next ...
- Define Joint Parameters (might need to edit existing weld feature)
- Joint Definition dialog opens
-- Turn OFF "Use Computed Values"
-- Set manual values for the weld (total thickness should match):
--- Left side for the Small plate
--- Right side for the Thick plate, using thin-plate as reference. Bevel outside the reference will be extended.
-- Finish Welding Joint dialogue
Use Weld Preparation and select just created weld and the bevels show on the plates.
Notes and References
OS Version: 1064