How to project the perimeter of a model onto a datum plane.
This method will only include the perimeter or envelope of a part or an assembly.
- In the Part Navigator, expand the Model Views node.
- Select the desired Model View, 'MouseButton3 (MB3)-->Make Work View'.
This will be the view of the part or assembly used to create the perimeter.
- Add a datum plane at the desired location and orientation to project the perimeter onto.
- Select 'File-->Preferences-->Visualization Preferences'.
- Select the 'Visual' tab.
- In the Select Views group, select the view you want from step 2.
- In the General Display Setting group under Part Settings (Selected Views) subgroup, set the Redering Style to 'Wireframe'.
- In the Edge Display Settings group under Part Settings (Selected Views) subgroup, set Hidden Edges to 'Invisible' and OK the dialog.
- In the Menu, select 'Insert-->Derived Curve-->Extract'.
- Select 'Shadow Outline'. Select OK and then Cancel.
- Hide any components or geometry, so that only the Shadow Outline curves are visible.
- In the Menu, select 'Insert-->Derived Curve-->Project Curve'.
- Select the Shadow Outline curves for Curves or Points to Project.
- Select the datum plane for Objects to Project To.
- Specify the vector for the Projection Direction.
- [optional] Uncheck 'Associative' in the Settings group.
- OK the dialog.
NOTE: If needed later, the Shadow Outline curves can be deleted and the components or geometry can be made visible again.
Notes and References
OS Version: n/a