This KB article illustrates how to create videos from transient simulation results in Simcenter STAR-CCM+. There are two ways to do this, which are shown below:
- Set up a Solution History File
- Right-click the Solution Histories node and select New.
- In the opened window, choose a name for the simh file and click Save. Under Solution Histories node, a new node with the specified simh file name will be created.
- In the Properties Window of the created Solution History, select the function and the input boundaries that should be saved.
- Click the Updates node and specify the Trigger and Frequency.
- Run the simulation.
- Create a Recorded Solution View
- Right-click the saved Solution History and select Create Recorded Solution View.
- A new node is created under Solution Views.
- Create an Animation from the Solution View
- Under Solution Views > simh file > Animation right-click and select Edit.
- In the opened window, select an Animation Mode and set up the Solution Time Animation. Close the window.
- You can go to the created Scalar Scene you would like to use for the video. Right-Click in the Graphic Window, go to Apply Representation to Displayers and select the created Solution View
- Hit the animation Record button in the toolbar.
- Choose the movie format and a file name and click Save. The movie will be now exported and saved in the target location.
2. Save images of a scene and create a video with your media program of choice
- Go to the Scenes node and expand the scene you want to use for video creation.
- Expand the Attributes node.
- Click the Update node and change the settings in the Properties Window. Select a File Format for the images, a Trigger, an Output Directory, and choose a Base Filename. It is also important to activate Save To File.
- Specify a Frequency for the selected Trigger.
- Run the simulation. After each update of the scene, an image file will be saved. With these files, it is possible to create a video using an external program.
Note: The content of this KB article has been tested and created in release 2302 of Simcenter STAR-CCM+.